USGS - science for a changing world

Texas Water Science Center

  Home Information/Data GIS Projects Publications DroughtWatch FloodWatch FAQ Contact   Internal



USGS Water Science Centers are located in each state.

There is a USGS Water Science Center office in each State. Washington Oregon California Idaho Nevada Montana Wyoming Utah Colorado Arizona New Mexico North Dakota South Dakota Nebraska Kansas Oklahoma Texas Minnesota Iowa Missouri Arkansas Louisiana Wisconsin Illinois Mississippi Michigan Indiana Ohio Kentucky Tennessee Alabama Pennsylvania West Virginia Georgia Florida Caribbean Alaska Hawaii New York Vermont New Hampshire Maine Massachusetts South Carolina North Carolina Rhode Island Virginia Connecticut New Jersey Maryland-Delaware-D.C.

Frequently Asked Questions

Water Information

1. How can I obtain stream flow and groundwater level data?

Much of the historical data and current data for many stations in Texas can be accessed on the Texas Water Science Center web page at Links are provided for stations nationwide. If you do not have access to the World Wide Web, call or write the Public Information Officer with the U.S. Geological Survey, Texas Water Science Center:

1505 Ferguson Lane
Austin, TX 78754
Tel: 512-927-3571
Fax: 512-927-3590

2. How do I get low-flow and flood frequency statistics?

A listing of USGS Texas publications covering low flow and flood frequency topics may be found online at URL:
limited statistics are published in the Water-Year Summaries.

To retrieve Water Year Summaries

  • Several search options are available from USGS Water Data for Texas, including a 'Current Conditions' list of active real-time sites.
  • The various search options will help you find individual sites.
  • Once at an individual site page, select "Water-Year Summary" from the 'Available data for this site' pull-down menu.
    For example, Site 07300000 water-year summary

Additional information on hydrologic conditions in Texas may be found at:

3. Where can I get precipitation and air temperature data?

Contact NOAA at:

National Climatic Data Center
Federal Building
151 Patton Avenue
Ashville, NC 28801-5001
Telephone: 828-271-4800
Fax: 828-271-4876

Another source for Climate data is the Southern Regional Climate Center available on the Web at URL:

4. Where can I get river stage forecasts?

River stage forecasts for most rivers in Texas are available from NOAA at the West Gulf River Forecast Center; the Arkansas-Red Basin RFC and the Lower Mississippi Basin RFC

Flood and Weather forecasts for the majority of Rivers in Texas [except the Canadian and tributaries, the Red River and tributaries,and the Sabine and tributaries] are made by the:

National Weather Service
West Gulf River Forecast Center
3401 Northern Cross Blvd.
Fort Worth, TX 76137
Telephone: (817) 831-3289

Flood and Weather forecasts for the Arkansas-Red Basin are made by the:

National Weather Service
Arkansas-Red Basin River Forecast Center
10159 E. 11th Street, Suite 300
Tulsa, OK 74128-3050

Flood and Weather forecasts for the Sabine Basin are made by the:

National Weather Service
Lower Mississippi River Forecast Center

5. How do I get information on wetlands?

Information on Wetlands is available from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at

A dynamic Mapper integrates digital map data with our information at URL:

For hard copies of National Wetlands Inventory Maps see the web page with Distribution Centers listed at URL:

6. Where can I get information on tides and charts?

Nautical Charts may be ordered from

7. How can I get information on flood plains?

All flood maps should be obtained from Federal Emergency Management Agency
Call 1-877-336-2627 or go online to

To order flood insurance rate maps write to:
Federal Emergency Management Agency
Map Service Center
P.O. Box 1038
Jessup, MD 20794-1038

Water Quality and Health Issues

8. Where can I get the water from my local well tested?

The Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Office of Groundwater and Drinking Water has a Frequently Asked Questions listing at URL:, which answers many questions people have about their self-supplied drinking water. You can check the listing of State Certification Officers for Drinking Water Laboratories at URL: to find listing for certified labs in Texas.

9. Where can I find water-quality standards that apply to streams in Texas?

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) is responsible for regulating the water-quality standards in Texas. See information posted on their public web page at URL:

10. Where can I find standards for drinking water in Texas?

See the information posted at URL: and or telephone (512) 239-4691

11. Where can I find consumption advisories that are in effect for fish in Texas?

Look at the Texas Dept. of State Health Services, Seafood & Aquatic Life Group information posted at URL:

Mapping and Related Topics

12. How do I obtain a USGS topographic map?

First identify the quadrangles you need from the state index, which can be obtained from the USGS by calling 1-888-ASK-USGS or visit the web at

You may also call 1-888-275-8747 to inquire about obtaining these maps. Texas quadrangles are available also through the Texas Natural Resources Information System (TNRIS) in Austin at (512) 463-8337. Maps may be purchased locally from commercial dealers (see your yellow pages or Texas commercial map dealers) at URL:

13. How do I obtain satellite images?

You can use the online application EarthExplorer at URL: Contact Satellite Data Business Partners on the list at URL:

Or call the EROS data center in Sioux Falls SD at (605) 594-6151.

14. How do I obtain an aerial photograph?

See the EROS Data Center's web page at

15. Where can I get information on benchmarks?

Depending on what survey benchmark information you're looking for will determine where to look. Most survey benchmarks were not established by the U.S. Geological Survey, but, instead by the National Geodetic Survey, and are available on their website at From there, click on the "Datasheets" link at the top of the page and navigate the subsequent retrieval links. If you need further assistance you can call 301-713-3242 or e-mail

For the Eastern U.S. vertical and horizontal control information contact the USGS in Rolla, Missouri, by calling 573-308-3500 or e-mailing For Western U.S. vertical and horizontal control information, contact the USGS in Denver, Colorado, by telephone at 303-202-4400 or by e-mail at

If you need information on a National Geodetic Survey (formerly Coast and Geodetic Survey [C & GS] ) benchmark contact:

National Geodetic Survey, N/NGS12
1315 East-West Highway
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3282
Telephone: (301) 713-3242
Fax: (301) 713-4172
( - Click on Survey Mark Datasheets)

16. Where can I get information on datums and coordinate conversions?

The National Geodetic Service (NGS) programs NADCON and UTMS are available for free downloading at:

More sites with information on datums and coordinate conversions:

17. Where can I get correction data for Global Positioning System (GPS) field files?

The National Geodetic Service (NGS) has GPS correction data available at:

Geology and Related Topics

18. How can I get information on earthquakes?

Historical data on major earthquakes in the U.S. (including Texas) is published in Professional Paper 1527. For other earthquake information contact:

National Earthquake Information Center
Box 25046, DFC, MS967
Denver, CO 80225
Telephone: (303) 273-8500
Fax: (303) 273-8450

More information is available at

19. Where can I get data on soils?

For data on trace metals in soils see USGS Professional Paper 1270; for other soils data see USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) Internet site at URL:

Or call the Temple Texas NRCS office at (254) 742-9860

20. Where can I get geologic maps?

Generally, University of Texas’ Bureau of Economic Geology is the best source for geologic maps of Texas. You may view their information online at URLs:
or call them directly at (512) 471-7144

21. Where can I get information on Mineral Resources?

For Information on minerals visit The USGS Mineral Resources Program at

USGS Activities Texas and USGS Publications

22. How do I obtain a USGS publication?

All recently published USGS series publications such as Fact Sheets or Scientific Investigation Reports are available from the Pubs Warehouse at URL: For historical publications, you can telephone 1 (888) 275-8747 to order any USGS publications or you can contact the Texas Water Science Center by email for information on the availability of any report authored by an employee of the Texas Water Science Center.

23. How do I obtain information on projects and activities of the USGS in Texas?

See the Texas public web page at URL:

24. How can I get information on job openings in the USGS?

All job openings in the USGS are posted on Additional information about working or volunteering at the USGS is available at

25. Where in Texas are USGS Water-Resources Division Offices located?

The main office of Texas is located in Austin, with program offices in San Antonio, Houston and Fort Worth. Field offices are located in Wichita Falls, San Angelo, El Paso, Corpus Christi and Lubbock. See the URL for more details.

back to top

USGS Home Water Climate Change Core Science Ecosystems Energy and Minerals Env. Health Hazards

Accessibility FOIA Privacy Policies and Notices

Take Pride in America logo logo U.S. Department of the Interior | U.S. Geological Survey
Page Contact Information:
Page Last Modified: Thursday, 15-Dec-2016 15:46:33 EST